Halloween Party Dos and Don'ts

I used to throw a Halloween party every year when I was younger and last year my roommates and I threw one of our own, so I am no stranger to the game. That being said, Halloween parties are difficult, especially in college. Where I live, people bounce from one party to the next, so your party has to be going for people to stay at all. Halloween is just a party night now, I guess.

(Cue bickering old man voice.) Back in my day, Halloween parties just needed fun snacks and a fog machine. Oh, how simple it was. But now you need music--not Halloween music, but radio music--drinks, costumes, and dim lights. That sounds easy, doesn't it? Not with out preparation, it's not. So here is what I have learned through trial and error for how to have a decent (don't trust me for good; I still only need snacks and a fog machine) Halloween party.

DO:

Prepare! College helps everyone become grade A procrastinators, but please leave this skill out of your Halloween party plans (or lack thereof). If you have a loose idea of what you're going to do, chances are you aren't going to do them and your party could turn into a bust. At least get your music straight. I'm telling you this from experience. An iPhone is not a good enough speaker.

Spread the word for BYOB but have back up. You'd be surprised how many people don't supply their own drinks. I myself don't drink, so I didn't care if other people were left high and dry, but I could tell they did, and when drinkers are left without drinks, they leave. My roommate made a festive Halloween punch last year that went over pretty well. It was pretty easy, too, and I think she used some cheap liquor. So classy and so college.

Have a sound system. This one is obvious, I know, but we messed up last year and couldn't get the speakers we borrowed working. We improvised well enough, but my roommate was without her phone all night because we had it plugged in through the TV and that stunk every time she got  phone call. You don't need anything fancy: just a laptop, an ad-free music source, and an HDMI cord. But don't overlook this step.

Block off rooms. This sounds petty, but it's necessary. On a night where random people are going in and out, you want your valuables and your pets protected. People will go where they aren't suppose to, but if you decorate with caution tape or something, it'll keep people out and those rooms will be safe. 

DON'T:

Supply food. Having snacks at a party seems great until you realize that no one is eating them and five bags of chips really aren't necessary and will end up soggy, on the floor, and overall, as a waste of money. People aren't going to eat and if they are, they will find food.

Have a small space. Small places make people disperse to find more room and then people end up outside or at another party. If you want to have a Halloween party, but have a small space, talk to a friend with more room and see if they'll donate their apartment/house for the event.

Plan a contest. Costume contests are festive and fun, but they involve some extra planning that will never get implemented. We tried to have one last year and spend some money on a giftcard for the winner. There was no winner. There were too many people and not enough control. Save it for when you're older and your friends are calmer.

Start too early. The anticipation leading to your party is a pain in the ass, but so is telling everyone to get there at 10 and not having anyone show up, really, until like 11. People start late. Start when they start so that your party keeps people there.

As I said, I'm not expert, but I hope these tips help if you're planning a party for Halloween (or whenever, I guess!) Check back Wednesday for another Blogtober post!

xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig