Spiced Apple Cider

Personally, I am a huge apple cider person. When I was younger and still lived in New York, my route to school passed through a Farmer's Market in the fall. The market always had the most delicious warm apple cider and it was just what I needed for those cold New York mornings. Because of this little anecdote, apple cider is the most comforting fall drink for me. I love it. And recently I learned that you can make it in a Crockpot! What!??!? Of course I tried it and guess what? I SUCCEEDED, without a recipe or anything! I am a chef.

I think apple cider can't be messed up, so add whatever you want, but here's what I used:

RECIPE:
As much water as looks right. I filled my Crockpot so that it was about 3/4 the way full
8 sliced apples (I Googled it and a variety of apples works best, but use whichever ones you like most)
1 orange
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. cloves
1 whole nutmeg
Dark brown sugar, to taste

Add everything except for the brown sugar to the Crockpot and turn it on. I kept mine on the low setting for five hours. Periodically, I would take the lid off, stir everything around, and smell the deliciousness that was happening in my kitchen.

After five hours, I checked on my cider and smashed everything together with a whisk, as best as I could. Then, with the help of my roommate because this was harder than I thought, I separated the mush from the cider. (Side note: I'm thinking of using the mush to make apple sauce? We'll see how it goes.) Then I added the brown sugar to the hot apple cider until it tasted sweet enough. That's it! It was the easiest thing I have every done and it tastes really good, actually. I'm thoroughly impressed with myself.
Let me know, as always, if you make this! I'd love to try out any variations if you guys have any. See you Wednesday!

xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig