My New App Obsession

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a podcast which mentioned an app that makes your pictures look like they were taken on a disposable camera. I know that sounds silly: to use your smartphone--something that's boasted amazing quality pictures in the past few years--to take pictures with terrible quality, but the thing is, I love pictures that come from disposable cameras. I'm just too lazy to ever go and get the pictures developed, especially now that we have like two places that will develop them, and the last time I did so, it cost me like $25 or something I deemed ridiculous. So when I heard Mitchell Davis mention the app, I had to find it.

If I got the correct one, it's called Huji. It's free on the app store, and thank God it is because I've become instantly obsessed. You can't zoom in. All you can do is flip the camera to forward facing, time stamp the image if you want to (your options are today's date or today's date in 1998), and turn off the random light effects, but why would you want to do that? It's half the fun. I haven't gotten too many amazing images with it so far, but I've had fun nonetheless and I want to share it with all of you anyway because I think it's an app worth knowing about. For this post, I left all of the pictures unedited so that you guys could see them all in their original form, so sorry if the lighting is off in some (but that is characteristic of a disposable camera, isn't it?)!
I tried to include pictures with all of the different effects I've experienced so far, and it just so happens that most of them are pictures of animals. Sue me. I was having fun. I especially like that the pictures have to "develop" so you can't see them until about five seconds after you snap the picture, giving animals plenty of time to move around and blur the picture or mess with the effects somehow. It's a little exciting, the anticipation of whether it's a good picture or not.
I've also found that I like taking pictures mostly outside with this app because the effects are the best, but I have gotten a few nice photos inside and the flash works pretty well (and isn't obnoxiously bright)! Street lights are pretty much just a no-go if you want a usable image (but hey, prove me wrong). Maybe with more practice, I'll be able to get a nice one on late night city streets.
Let me know your guys' favorite photo apps and if you enjoyed this post at all!

xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig