The Magic of Memory Boards


I am a sentimental mess. Plain and simple. I add meaning to everything, I save everything, I make everything matter. I have personal items stashed away in drawers, but the items with more overt meaning need to be on display, and so when I was about 18, I began a memory board, and it's the item in my room I am most proud of.

I add whatever I can to it, wherever there is space. I allow things to overlap; I take advantage of empty space and of parts of the memories that are not important to the story (i.e. I cover up flight numbers on tickets, or backgrounds in pictures). The entire idea of a memory board, in my mind, is to be as cluttered with happiness as it possibly can be. Life is chaotic. It has good moments and bad moments. Flood your memory with the good until it's close to bursting. Then, go buy a new cork board and repeat the process. That's exactly what I did today, actually. Now, I have two memory boards, and I'm so, so pleased to be at that point.

Memory boards are completely up for personal interpretation and creative license. There's no right or wrong to one. Design a memory board in any way that you'd like, on whatever you'd like. Add business cards, maps, tickets, ribbons--whatever will help you hold that memory. Or just add things you relate to or things that make you happy. You can hide it away if that's preferred, but I suggest keeping it out to look at on bad days and on good days. There's no bad time to remember something that brings you joy.

I hope if you don't already have a memory board, you go out and make one. They're fun and they're nostalgic and sometimes, they're just the therapy you might need.

xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig