Long Time, No Blog: I Went to Europe

Oh, wow. You're back?
I know that's what anyone who might have read this blog last fall/winter is thinking. I'm sorry. I'm the worst blogger. But I really, truly want to become more disciplined with it. Wish me luck?
For anyone wondering, I've been planning a trip to Europe since last March, I'd say? Maybe a little earlier or later. And I'm just now getting back from it! The trip lasted a little less than 25 days and it was AMAZING. But no matter how much I tried to prepare, I still ended up making some travel mistakes, which thus inspired me to make this post giving some tips on how to pack light and travel right for a month in Europe. Hopefully you guys can learn from my mistakes!

Pack light, and then pack even lighter.
I tried so very hard to pack as little as I possibly could, and still, I ended up with more than necessary. How? I had four bottoms, five shirts, two long sleeved shirts, a couple dresses, and that's really it. For a month.

Well, it turns out, you really do not need what you think you need. One pair of shorts would have been plenty since I had dresses. Why didn't I realize that before? My best advice is to write down the weather of your destination(s), plan two to five outfits, depending on the length of stay in said place, and pack no more than that. Mix and match some basics and repeat a few outfits. You'll be happy later when you're not lugging around a heavy carry-on.

Plan a loose itinerary.
Rushing from one place to another is no fun, but neither is spending a few hours trying to find things that interest you in an unfamiliar city. Whether it be before the trip or on the plane or train to the destination, have maybe two or three things you desperately want to do in the place you're visiting. It'll give you some direction and get you out of the hotel, hostel, etc.!


Be flexible.
Plan an itinerary, but don't be afraid to stray from it. It's best to have options just in case something doesn't go as planned. Plus, it takes a weight off your shoulders when you don't have to stress about missing a train. Trust me. Flexibility will also allow you to leave a place early or stay longer if you want to. It also allows you to go somewhere else just because--like Pisa in between Florence and Rome because why not?


Look for free sights and discount offers.
It honestly isn't too expensive to travel if you do it right. I managed to spend no more than about $50 a day, not including board, no problem. Most blogs will tell you, but take advantage of eating free breakfast in a hostel or cooking in an Airbnb. Also look for local places. They tend to have lower prices and better quality food, anyway.
Moreover, I traveled with a book that suggested free things to do in major cities and Googled special offers (like a BOGO deal for the London Eye), which helped to save quite a bit.


Exchange your money at your bank before you go.
I read this tip and totally ignored it, and oh my God was I sorry. Firstly, I was left looking after quite a bit of my country's currency in a foreign country, with absolutely no use for it. And the one time I did exchange some, I got about 50 percent back of what I gave, thanks to high exchange rates in the easy-to-find change stores. Banks will exchange it without the large fee. It just takes a few weeks to work out, so don't wait until the last minute if you choose this option.

Another option is to not bring cash at all and to withdraw from your bank for a small fee whenever cash is necessary. Cash is no longer king in most places, so this should suffice if it's what you prefer.

Hostels are not always cheaper. 
Depending on if you're traveling alone or not, hostels might not be your best option. My friend and I found at times that splitting the cost of an Airbnb actually cost us less than paying for a bed in a hostel. Price it all, and weigh the pros and cons of each option.


Look into what needs to be booked in advance.
We learned this lesson our first day, and then a few more times after that. Some things sell out. If you desperately want to do it or need to make a specific train, book early, so that you're not stuck in Iceland being the only people not at the Blue Lagoon. See also: We Desperately Needed a Night Train and It Was Sold Out so We Had to Sleep In a Sketch Train Station.


I hope these tips can help somebody on a trip, or encourage you guys to take one if you were skeptical before! It was life-changing and amazing and I'm so happy I was able to do it!


xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig